Dosbarth Puffins – Year 1/Year 2

We had a wonderful time celebrating Harvest this year with our Poem ‘The Pumpkin Seed’ Click the link below to watch the Puffins in action!

The Pumpkin Seed

One day I found two pumpkin seeds,

I planted one and pulled the weeds.

It sprouted roots and a big, long vine,

A pumpkin grew, I called it mine.

The pumpkin was quite round and fat,

And I am really proud of that.

But there is something I’ll admit,

That has me worried a little bit.

I ate the other seed, you see,

Now will it grow inside of me?

I’m so relieved since I have found,

That pumpkins only grow in the ground!

Click here to watch! 

Croeso i Dosbarth Puffins ~ Blwyddyn 1/2

September 2021 – July 2022

#TeamPuffins

617 Puffin Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock      

Mrs Banfield and Miss Copplestone are the Class Teachers.

Miss Cook and Miss Wallen are the Teaching Assistants.

Dear Parents and Guardians

I hope that you had a lovely Summer Break and we are really looking forward to seeing all of the children on Monday Morning!

I will be teaching the Puffin Class three days a week and Miss Copplestone will be teaching the Puffin Class two days a week. Miss Copplestone is covering Mrs Stevenson’s maternity leave until she returns to School after Half Term.  We will both be in School on the first few days of term to welcome the pupils back and to settle them all into Class! Please bear with us while we dismiss the pupils as we have lots of new parents to recognise and get to know!

Our working days change every two weeks and are as follows:

Week 1 – Mrs Banfield teaches on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and Miss Copplestone teaches on Thursday and Friday!

Week 2 – Miss Copplestone teaches on Monday and Tuesday and Mrs Banfield teaches on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!

Our topic this term is a whole school theme called ‘Power and Identity’ which will focus largely on the Humanities Area of Learning. We will start by learning all about ourselves and our self-identity and then explore how schools and homes have changed over time in Wales. A skills letter will be shared with you shortly explaining some of the skills and activities planned for this topic – please look out for it!

Important Information

School starts at 8.50am and finishes at 3.20pm. The Puffin Class will use the classroom back door as their entry and collection point. This is located around the side of the building by the blue gated area. Please ensure that pupils do not play with our Outdoor Classroom equipment before and after school. Pick-ups and drop-offs should be as quick as possible.

Snack will be provided for your child by school at a cost of £1 a week (20p a day). You can pay weekly (£1 on a Monday) or pay for a half term (£7)/full term (£15) at a time. Unfortunately, school cannot subsidise snack so only pupils who pay for snack will have snack provided.

Please could all pupils bring a water bottle into school every day. These are kept in a box in class and pupils can help themselves to water throughout the school day. Bottles are returned at the end of the day to be washed at home. Please could bottles be labelled with your child’s name. This is an additional bottle to their lunchtime drink so please bring two bottles into school if you have a packed lunch.

I am sure that you all have login details for Hwb, Mathletics and Oxford Reading Buddies due to Home Learning last year. If you require any extra support or login details then please let me know.

Please bring reading books/bags into school every day. Please make sure reading books and records are kept in a school reading bag or folder. New books will be sanitized and quarantined before they are given out, however Teachers will not be writing comments in Reading Journals. If Teachers need to feedback to you about reading then they will contact you on Class Dojo or phone you. If pupils bring in their book bags everyday then they receive a ‘Ready’ Dojo on a Friday!

Once our Read Write Inc Groups are set up, your child will receive some sounds to practise at home or some green and red words containing the sounds they are studying. Please practise these to support your child’s progress in Read Write Inc.

PE will be on a Tuesdays or Fridays. Please see the dates below.

If your child is ill then please inform the School Office on the first day of absence. If your child has covid-19 symptoms then please do not send them into school and follow Welsh Government advice and information.

Please only bring essential items into school as our cloakrooms are very small. Your coat, bags and lunch. Please could you label all items clearly to avoid confusion, especially jumpers and cardigans!

If you have any questions or queries then please private message myself or Miss Copplestone via Class Dojo or ring the School Office on 792478.

Thank you

Mrs Banfield

PE Dates:

Friday 17th September

Tuesday 21st September

Friday 1st October

Tuesday 5th October

Thursday 14th October

Tuesday 19th October

Skills for Parents